Operating a successful radio station is not that much different than operating any business that is aimed toward being successful. But since a radio station does have other detailed nuances that you’re not likely to find in many other businesses, there are some things that you can do to ensure that you run a successful and profitable radio station business.
- Have a sales-heavy marketing department. Make sure that you have several capable and experienced individuals making sales calls for the radio station and soliciting advertising spots and sponsorships. This is the life-blood for the company, therefore ensuring that there is a constant stream of income for the business.
- Don’t over-hire in other areas. This means eliminating or not hiring “extras” if you don’t need them. This cuts heavily into your budget and can be a very big money and time waster.
- Be sure to include diverse genres in your advertising and marketing pitches. As long as the sponsors aren’t in direct conflict with the nature of your station’s personality, always try to include a variety of advertising clients. This gives your station the opportunity to reach more audiences and markets.
- Always have a promotion of some sort going. This keeps listeners tuned in and listening (to ads) and also encourages them to “refer a friend.”
- By staying abreast of new developments in various consumer markets, you will be better able to gauge what your audience wants and listens to. This can help you tremendously in designing your marketing campaigns.
Successful radio stations are not always rated by how much glitz and appeal they have, but more on how they affect the radio listening community with their music, news, information, etc. If you keep your station connected to what’s going on around the local community and the nation, you will always have faithful listeners who will tune in to see what you have to say.